It’s that time of year again, folks. When those sweet little innocent faces head back to the classroom. The lazy summer days come to an end and the calendar fills up with extracurricular activities.

This is also the time of year that we get many calls asking what type of insurance college-bound kids need. College is expensive enough without the added cost of unexpected accidents or theft, not covered by your insurance policy, if you have a student heading away to school, below are some things to know.

HOMEOWNERS (varies by state)

  • Personal Property:  Most homeowners policies will cover your student’s belongings for up to 10% of your personal property coverage of your policy while your child is residing at school (a $100,000 personal property equals $10,000 in coverage). Not all types of damage are covered, so read your policy carefully. Some items such as jewelry or expensive electronics require special coverage.
  • Liability Coverage:  General damage to a dorm room or apartment is not usually covered but, typically, can be added for a few dollars more.
  • Even though there is coverage on your existing policy, a Renters insurance policy is strongly recommended. In fact, if your student is living in an apartment, most property management companies require a separate policy with the management company listed as an additional insured.

AUTO (varies by state)

  • Car Stays Home:  Keep your child listed on your auto policy if they will still drive your car while at home on school breaks.
  • Car at School:  Make sure to notify us if your child will be taking a car away to school. In most cases, if the car remains registered to you in the same state as your policy, it will be covered. 
  • Driving a Friend’s Car:  Students are generally covered if they are listed on their parent’s policy and are not regularly using the vehicle. The coverage would be secondary.  The insurance for the friend’s vehicle would be the primary coverage.
  • Discounts: 
    • A full-time student meeting certain academic requirements can qualify for a good student discount.
    • Distant student discounts may also be available if the car stays at home.
    • Drivers under 21 who have completed driver’s education may also get a discount.

Before your child leaves for school, call us at 770-371-8247 or e-mail your Account Manager. We can walk you through the steps to ensure you have the right coverage. We’re here to help!